Thursday, April 29, 2004

So it looks like my "hooligan" antics have gotten me in trouble. I'm telling you... I'm BAD. Nevermind that I was bumping A* Teens in my car... I'm naughty. BAD BAD BAD!

Decrepit Old Woman was at it again at the laundromat today. The thing is that it was unexpectedly CROWDED when we got there. It seemed like everyone and their baby's mama had come out to do their washing.. so Sarah and I had this game plan to try to get the 317 chaircovers washed, dried, and folded as FAST AS OUR NIMBLE FINGERS COULD so that we shouldn't hear the decrepit old woman bitch at us. We made it a point to made sure that once our washings were done, we'd hop them out of the washer and into the drier so that someone can use it right afterwards. Even while with the dryer, we made sure that we weren't taking up too many, that there were was an ample amount of empty dryers ready so that we wouldn't inconvenience anyone and even folded at lightning speed so that we can get them out faster.

And yet while I'm running around doing MY job, she's standing with a customer starting at us and talking CRAP. How we go in there every month and we *gasp* use the machines and *gasp* keep the dryer running as we *gasp* fold.

Uh huh. I don't get it either.

Well, nearly 2 hours without a problem, just as we were finishing up folding our second to last load, the LAST load in the dryer had stopped... and I guess had been sitting there for 5 minutes.

Decrepit Old Woman: You need to get your stuff out of the dryer. People might need it.

By then, the crowd had died down. OH... and there were about 20 EMPTY DRYERS LINED UP AGAINST THE WALL.

Sarah and I nodded at her and continued folding. We probably had less than 25 covers left with the load when she came by and bitched again.

Decrepit Old Woman: YOU NEED TO GET YOUR STUFF OUT OF THE DRYER. SOMEONE MIGHT NEED TO USE IT.
Sarah: There's a bunch of empty dryers open.
Decrepit Old Woman: I tell your boss this all the time. You can't just leave your stuff in the dryers... you need to get them out once they're done.
Me: Well, we'll get them as soon as we're done what we have left here.

I said this with a smile. I wasn't sarcastic at all. Really... I wasn't. I was friendly and I said this very very nicely.

Decrepit Old Woman: You can stop with your smart mouth or else you can take your stuff and LEAVE!

My smile transformed into a pair of pursed lips and my eyes widened in shock.

Oh my gosh....

I was about to get KICKED OUT...

OF A LAUNDROMAT...

IN NORCO OF ALL PLACES!!

The Decrepit Old Woman stormed off and just so that she would get off our backs, I opened the dryer only to find that it wasn't finished! So I picked out the pieces that were dry and continued to dry the rest.

Since the hag was SCREAMING, patrons of the 'mat' knew what was going on. One lady came up and sympathized with us. She noticed that we had been spending a lot of money there washing as well as working so diligently with our task that she didn't get the old woman at all. She then, started taking HER stuff out of her dryer for fear of getting bitched at as well. Another lady with her kids came by laughing, "OoOoo... watch out! She's gonna THROW DOWN She's sooooo pissed!"

Pissed at what? I'm doing laundry... at the laundromat. Why doesn't this make sense?

In a huff, Crazy Decrepit Old Woman comes back.

"WHAT IS YOUR BOSS'S PHONE NUMBER?"

OH my gosh... she's gonna call my boss. WHAT THE HELL? I felt like I was back in 7th grade and I had to call my parents because I didn't get my progress report signed. I cried just dialing the numbers because I was already imaging my parents coming down to pick me up, take me home, and beat me senseless because I was in soooo much trouble. (They didn't, but I soon learned how to forge my dad's signature to avoid all that turmoil. :P)

As annoyed as I am... I'm also trying my bestest to contain my laughter because really, nothing will piss off Decrepit Old Woman even more than the sound of laughter. That... and maybe sunshine, candy, and babies dressed up as flowers.

About 5 minutes later I get a call from Doug. I asked him if we were in trouble and if he was gonna come and pick us up. I explained the situation and said that it was ONE DRYER. OUR LAST LOAD. WALL OF DRYERS... EMPTY. CRAZY. OLD. WOMAN. DON'T BEAT!

By then SHE had disappeared. To where, I don't know. Maybe to her "office" where she was boiling up a cauldron of newts eyes and lizard tongues. Maybe...

We finished EVERYTHING and Doug came to pick us up... and luckily no more encounters with the woman. But another patron was outside eating his Chinese food and laughed once again at the lameness of the situation. "I don't know what her problem was... she crazy! I say that if you pay, then you're a customer, and you're entitled to keep your stuff where you want."

See.. he gets it! EVERYONE GETS IT! EVERYONE BUT HER!

Anyways, so thats the story. Doug left a message with Old Decrepit Woman's manager and hopes to strike a deal in which the old lady can't be mean to us because we really do being a significant amount of business to the place. If there were another laundromat with industrial sized washers and dryers near the shop, then maybe we could have just taking our stuff elsewhere... but alas there isn't. So looks like we still have to go back there future...

Ugh.

No comments: