Tuesday, April 13, 2004

In Girl Scouts, we had a little song that went:

"Make new friends.
Keep the old.
One is silver and the other's gold."


We'd stand in a circle and hold hands by crossing our arms... and when we were done singing, we'd somehow unloop our hands and be able to turn around. It doesn't make sense when I write it down, but I'm definitely doing the actions as I type and it's the best way I can describe it. :)

When I grow up and have daughters, I'm definitely going to make them join girl scouts and have them learn to peddle off $4 boxes of cookies with sad little puppy dog faces in the parking lot of a grocery store.

I still know the pledge by heart. :)

I think my favorite girl scout memory of all time was at Jamboree. Actually, the trip started off pretty crappy because the moment I stepped out of the car, I got stung by a bee and my arm swelled up half its size in a bad allergic reaction. My troop leaders weren't sure if I should go home or stay... but after a long talk with my mom, who was smart to pack my dear benadryll, they allowed me to stay. That weekend, I remember playing TRUTH OR DARE with the girls in my tent at night, and THAT was the very first time I ever admitted to liking boy. And oh the trauma that ensued afterwards because I was teased mercilessly. It was funny though because the girls all pretty much like Jared L... and no one teased each other. But nooo... when I said that I thought Paul S was cute... it was OVER. They chanted "Pauly-wog" over and over again... and I think the whole thing has scarred me for life. (His older brother found out later and said "I heard you like my brother" which I vehemently denied and RAN away from. Argh... WHHY!!)

Now that I think about it though, I laugh (as well as cringe.. damn that Paul S and his brother! Arrrgh... whhy!?!) because I remember little 6th graders talking about their "fantasies" of kissing on the beach. Oh really now? You're 10, you're on the beach making out the boy of your dreams and you parents AREN'T giving you a hard time.

Oh to be young again...

:)

Paul S. really was a cute 11 year old. He asked me to go on the Zipper with him at the fiesta one year.... I babbled and didn't say "yes"... I didn't say "no" either. I just babbled.

ARGGGHH WHYYY!?!

No comments: