Sunday, April 18, 2004

Last night was the COSCA New Officer Induction Ball. COSCA is my dad's Cubagao organization here in Southern California. It started with a weekly mahjong nights and grew to a really kick ass group that do a lot for their hometown in the Philippines. Almost every Filipino kid knows what I'm talking about. Anyways, since my dad was organizing the dinner dance, not only were my sister and I "obligated" to go, but also was volunteered by daddy dearest to sing the Philippine and American National Anthems.

After singing the Star Spangled Banner (Thanks to the bandleader who could only play the song in C, I got stuck singing it in a VERY low key. I had scary Donatella Versace/man voice going into the song, but it got better.... I think.) the bandleader seriously pressed a FAN FARE button. The button that sounds like the crowd is screaming and cheering for you. The thing is that the button was SO obvious that instead of the cheering of a small group, it was a stadium size crowd that ended up sounding like the ocean. Granted that they audience was clapping politely, but I doubt that the occasion called for prerecorded rioting to ensue afterwards.

my Tita Lagring pointing at the flower in my hair: you're like Jasmine Trias.
me: hahahaha thanks... I think.
Tita Lagring: So who got kicked off this week?
me: JPL
Tita Lagring: (looking satisfied and smug) GOOD!
My Tita Choeling sitting next to my Tita Lagring: WHO!?!
Tita Lagring: (with her thick filipino accent) JPL!
Tita Choeling: (also satisfied and smug) Ahhh... JPL.

Thats right JPL. My 2 old Filipino aunties thought you suck!

The night was fun. The highlight of course was getting out of the ballroom and hanging out at the hotel bar to watch the Laker game... with a bunch of cousins and uncles and other party goers from other rooms who were doing the same thing. Yao Ming was looking mighty pissy. :P Of course, The Lakers won (YAY!) and with that we all went back to our perspective parties and celebrated over there.

In my ballroom, it was line dancing galore. Nothing like some good "todo todo" to Filipinos get out of their seats. That and some disco swinging and salsa. No dinner dance is complete without them and my feet were KILLING by midnight. I can swing dance like the pros under the guidance of my dad. I need silver "pro" shoes now... or not. They're pretty ugly. :P

No comments: