Tuesday, April 06, 2004

The other day, while I was at COSTCO with my mom, there was a little boy with his family in front of us in the check out line. He was proudly holding his *soon to be* brand new bike and when the clerk had to take it for that one second just to scan it, he was reluctant to let it go. His eyes stayed focused on the bike and got a bit nervous when the clerk had to ask for help with some scanning problem. I guess in the computer, the price came up higher than what his parents had originally thought and probably budgeted for. His dad started complaining that the price on screen was wrong and the clerk had another employee go to the back to double check, only to discover to the father's dismay that the computer was right.

"Do you still want it?" the clerk asked.

My heart was about to break for this little boy. I was so nervous for him. The entire time, he just paced back and forth, never letting the bike out of his sight. This was HIS bike. They were meant to be. He probably had fantasies of this bike and of the wondrous places they'll go together.

The dad looked in his wallet and then at his son. "Of course" He replied.

And the little boy broke out in a sigh of relief and a HUGE smile.

Later as we were leaving, we were once again behind them and the employee at the gate marveled at the boys new bike. He beamed and proceeded to get onto the bike and ride out of the store into the parking lot.

The entire scenario has been on my mind today. It's been keeping my "post Average Joe" anger under wraps (although I did have a nice "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!" rant with Brandi today at work over the entire situation) and actually made me think about the last time I had wanted something so bad or had recieved something so great that it changed my world completely...

I think I know what it is...

I'm just waiting for the "of course."

No comments: