Sunday, May 23, 2004

Friday night, I went to go watch "16 Candles" at a Midnight Showing for $9 with Beth, Ryan, Jean, Billings, and Maritza.

Ironically, today, they showed "16 Candles" on AMC... twice.

Anyways, I had a great time that night, seeing that I was surrounded by terrific friends, some of whom I feel like I haven't seen in ages.

Plus I got to play SIMPSONS CLUE beforehand. Apparently for the last 20 years, I've been playing regular clue WRONG. Absolutely wrong. How we came to play it like a funky game of "MURDER GO FISH" I have no idea... but then again, we did start playing back before anyone knew how to properly read so maybe thats it.

The movie itself was a treat just to see in a theater. My mom had taped the movie off of the TV on BETA when I was younger... so I was part of the crowd who know most of the "Donger's" lines by heart. And can I say now that everytime I hear The Thompson Twin's "If You were Here", I ALWAYS want to say "Yeah you!" at the moment when Jake Ryan shows up at the Church to surprise Samanatha.

The thing is, watching it again, the more you think about it, the more the plot really doesn't make sense. SO the guy falls for the girl because she writes in a note that she hasn't had sex and secretly wants to do it with him? Then there's the nerd who loves her and because he's so nice to her, she gives him her underwear so that he can show it off to his fellow freshmen in order to win a bet? All of this happens on her 16th birthday... which no one remembers... including one grandfather who manages to remember what the foreign exchange student he's sponsoring is wearing, right up to his red shoes.

And yet, I still love this movie. It's cheesy goodness!