Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Her name is... she's SEXY!

Just listening to a preview of the new N.E.R.D. album. I'm trying to get as much as I can in right now because if I start again tomorrow, it will automatically start at track #1. That's the downfall of this whole online "preview." Normally I would scan the songs just to hear the initial beats before determining if its buyable, but since this is all online and I can't skip ahead to the next song, I'm listening to it all now and will probably have dreams of Pharrell's head making beatboxing noises out of his mouth.

But not all in vain... I'm reading while critiquing the album. Well, not now... I'm blogging now. But I was reading for a good portion of the album. Although Hardy's "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" really deserves some somber "slit my wrist" kind of background music. I hate dislike this book with a passion. I really don't see how this book can be inspiring. Maybe if I wanted to kill manipulating lovers in the woods, then maybe yeah.

Oh speaking of books, I've always noticed this used bookstore near campus but never have I set foot in it until today. What a delicious little used bookstore it is... and we're not talking about textbooks here. We're talking about wall to wall paperbacks. Shelves and shelves of old, wrinkled, spines of books that are at least HALF THE PRICE than the publisher cost. There's nothing sexier than that. It reeks the scent of "old book" and "haunted library." Actually, it quite gross, but at the same time it isn't like you're shoving your face into a pair of construction worker's boots that he had been wearing all summer... sockless. The only let down is that you really can't just plop yourself down on the floor and start reading away. Maybe its because its small and there isn't a lot of people or space to do so, but also it would probably be uncomfortable because of the atmosphere. You sort of just want to grab your finds and leave.

Why is it that its only at Barnes or Borders its perfectly acceptable to grab a book and camp out on the floor for all hours with it and leave? You can't do that at Robinsons May. You can't go to the dressing room, try on pajamas and test out the bed for an hour. But at your local mega chain bookstore you can set up picnic and have your fill with piles and piles of magazines and books. Not complaining over here though. My second favorite place in the world (next to my bed, Disneyland, and my other second favorite places in the world) is the chair that's at the post that separates the Teen fiction and the music section of the Brea Borders with JANE and the newest RedInk Chicklit. *Good Times*

No comments: