Friday, June 18, 2004

carlene is nice: you sound not so bored anymore
carlene is nice: which is a good thing because you were getting to become a loser to talk to
carlene is nice: and i hate losers

Ahhh... sisterly love.

Since Carlene has a final tomorrow, she couldn't make it out tonight. BOO!

Anyways, Tammy, Melissa, and I went dancing tonight... with our Moms!

Mother-Daughter girls night out!

Well actually, it wasn't "TO THE WINDOW TO THE WALLS... HEY MOM I'M GOING TO DANCE ALL FREAKY WITH THIS GUY WHO JUST BOUGHT ME A DRINK" sort of dancing... it was Ballroom dancing. Oh and Tam's mom suddenly had plans, but she still came with her grandma and aunt. Still the night had a very nice "family fun" feel to it.

We all met up at the L.J. Ballroom Dance center... a Filipino dance hall which basically is a giant "ballroom" in the most awkward corner that right next to a ghetto billiards bar and a thrift shop. Mom and I walked in first and met "Tita Amour" (yes...Amour... as in "love") who told us to sit at a table that's close to the main crowd.

What? Huh? WHAT IS THIS??

Has anyone seen the Japanese movie "SHALL WE DANCE?" Well, if you have, that's the type of world I felt like I stepped into. Serious dancers wearing their shiny serious dancer shoes and their arms up in the air because that's what serious dancers do. If you haven't watched it... rent it... or come over. I have it on video. :) Its absolutely charming and magical and one of my favorite foreign films. (Actually J-lo is going to butcher it soon with a horrid English remake... oh the travesty! Whore!!)

Anyways, so there we were sitting at a table when we learned of the "procedures" of the place:
1) Most of the men there were D.I.'s. "Dance Instructors"
2) You sit at table and wait for them to come to you.
3) They don't ask you to dance. They put their hand out to you.
4) You say "yes". "No" is not an option. But if you say "later" that's fine... just don't make it a habit.
5) YOU DANCE!!

I felt like I was in some ballroom dancing brothel.

But it was DAMN FUN!! :)

So we each took our turns on the dancefloor. I got to Salsa, 2 step, Cha cha and Waltz... and I DIDN'T SUCK! At least I don't think so.. I didn't step on anyone's feet and only screamed once because my partner for the salsa turned me at some weird angle. YAY!

My partners were basically old Filipino men... seeing that they all were old filipino men. But really... they could dance and were all very sweet and friendly and patience when it came to trying to figure out the steps.

... then there was the LINE DANCING.

You can't get away from it. You want to learn... even though you know you look absolutely STUPID doing them. Tonight, I learned part of the "Pamela-wan" which had an obscene amount of grinding and hip shaking just for one linedance... especially when you're doing it next to your mom and aunts. Oh and sadly enough nO "otso otso"... maybe next time. :P

It was all so much fun... Mom wants to go back on Thursday nights and I think her and Tita Josie were talking about taking some classes at the community center. I just liked it. You really can't help but feel like girly and princess-y when you're waltzing...

The thing is that I imagine that you'd want to go back with your own "male" so that you can dance whenever you want. But none of my guy friends, with the exception of Joe, would probably be interested in that... I could be like the woman at the table next to us, who supposedly paid $100 to this 20 year old guy to be her own private D.I.

Oh goodness...

Yay for dancing with old men!!

No comments: