Wednesday, June 09, 2004

After some hip hopping, Melissa and I went to watch HARRY POTTER (again) which basically has cinched my love for Ron Weasley (again). And I think the kid is 13 (16 in real life though... but still...) I'm feeling like a pervy old woman getting her jollies by having her young, nubile, cabana boys bend over to pick up napkins that I accidently drop.

Then I'll make them dance for me.

Anyways, my birthday was quiet. Nice and quiet... which as boring as it "sounds", actually has surpassed last year's birthday tragedy of rearending a disneyland employee on my way to the happiest place on earth. Instead of sobbing in bed and eating pad thai seasoned with salty tears... I went to work, had a homecooked filipino dinner, and enjoyed the dramatic triumph of the Lakers.

And with all the wonderful emails, calls and greetings, I really can't complain. :) Well except for a 6:45am call from my Dad who sang me the "Happy Birthday" song... but made up his own notes. Still... it was cute.

Actually, on the eve of my birthday, I cried. Not because I realized that I was OLD, (a year away from being a quarter century as well as being able to rent a car without having to pay a youngins fee!!) but because I had started to read portions of love letters that the Late Ronald Reagan wrote to Nancy.

Written Sunday, March 20, 1955:

"My darling, here it is, our day. If we were home, we would have a fire and funnies. And we would hate anybody who called or dropped in. As it is, I'm sitting here on the top of the sixth floor, beside a phony fireplace, looking out at a gray, wet sky, and listening to a radio play music not intended for one person alone.

"Nevertheless, I wouldn't trade the way I feel for the loneliness of those days when one place was like another, and it didn't matter how long I stayed away, with all the missing you there is still such a wonderful warmth in this loneliness. Like looking forward to a bright, warm room, no matter how dark and cold it is at the moment, you know the room is there and waiting. I love you so very much. I don't want -- I don't even mind that life made me wait so long to find you.

"The waiting only made the finding sweeter. I love you. Ronnie."


March 4th, 1981, on their 29th wedding Anniversary

"Dear first lady, as President of the United States, it is my honor and privilege to cite you for service above and beyond the call of duty: in that you have made one man, me, the most happy man in the world for 29 years.

"Beginning in 1951, Nancy Davis, seeing the plight of a lonely man who didn't know how lonely he really was, determined to rescue him from a completely empty life. Refusing to be rebuffed by a certain amount of stupidity on his part, she ignored his somewhat slow response. With patience and tenderness, she gradually brought the light of understanding to his dark and obtuse mind, and he discovered the joy of loving someone with all his heart. Nancy Davis then went on to bring him happiness for the next 29 years as Nancy Davis Reagan, for which she has received and will continue to receive his undying devotion forever and ever. She's done this in spite of the fact that he still can't find the words to tell her how lost he would be without her. He sits in the Oval Office, from which he can see, if he scrunches down, her window, and feels warm all over just to know she's there.

"The above is the statement of a man who benefited from her act of heroism. The below is his signature, Ronald Reagan, president of the United States.

"P.S.: He -- I mean I -- love and adore you."


You know, you read things like this in books and you never really think that people are capable of actually living the "happily ever after". Although, it was probably painful in the end with the Alzheimer's, but I am in awe of Mrs. Reagan's love to have always been at his side. They were saying on the news that for a month before, he hadn't opened his eyes... until one day, he opened them, looked at his wife, and then closed them forever.

Thats true love.

I can only hope to find something like that one day.

No comments: