Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Boy oh boy... I don't understand how getting a new battery could be such an adventure...

So Chris... Triple A bachelor #1 comes. He looks like a wrestler. He's about to tow my car over to Covina when I tell him that I think the battery is dead. He says "ok... let's check it out," in his rough man-voice. I could almost imagine him saying "Come see me rumble in the ring... SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!" Anyways, he gets into the car, turns the key, and lo and behold... ITS DEAD. Offically.. its dead. This is a good thing for me to know because really, I couldn't have prevented this. If there was something else like "you haven't chagned your oil" or "the twigs and dead bird in the engine should have been cleaned out a long time ago" then car failure definitely would have been pitted on me and I would be labeled as "irresponsible" by all. And we don't want that. Chris says that I can either A) have it towed to my nearby volkswagon dealership and have them change it or B) use new Triple A service where they come to my house and install a brand new battery all for the price for that brand new battery. B sounded pretty good and cheap.. so I went with that.

So enter Triple A bachelors #2 and #3... Hank and Bob. (Whats with the stereotypical car repairman monosyllabic names!??!) Both are nice... extremely old... but nice. They open the hood and the first thing I hear them say is "Um.. I think the battery is either underneath the engine... or its in the back." Even I know where the battery is, granted, its a VW and its from a completely different planet, but I know that anything that looks like a BOX with 2 knobs coming out of it is the battery. Well, after pointing it out to them, they finally jump started it. I guess they were doing some tests with this one machine thingie to see how much power was left in the battery to see if I actually needed a new one... but I guess their machine malfunctioned or something because they were calling the makers of it to see what was wrong. I thought this was really ironic because I called them to help.. and in order to help me.. the called someone else. Weird. So while they're talking to the "makers".. I hear them go on and on about how they can't figure out how to reset it. I had to go inside right then because the whole thing made me nervous.

I went back outside 15 minutes later because I had this vision of my car in pieces scattered all over the street and Bob holding the steering wheel, flahing me a toothy grin, and saying brightly "We figured it out!! Your tire is flat!" Luckily, they were still there, and my car was in tact. They figured out the machine and it my car was very much in need of a new battery. Offically. Then Bob said.. "you know what... you might as well just take it to the dealership. In order to put the battery in, I need to move all this (points to engine) and I don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong."

I'm not going to question it... I'm just gonna take my (now running) car and find me some VW professionals. Unfortunantly... ARGH... Volkswagon dealer #1 in Puente is no longer taking in cars at their service center. What kind of crap is that?? It was 4pm!! I cried and tried to look sad, pitiful, and gosh darn cute so that they'd have to be cold bastards to turn me away... but they did. BASTARDS.

So it was off to the VW Covina. I had called them while on the road and they said that they ALSO were not accepting new defunt cars to repair... but I could leave it overnight, they'd take me home and I could pick it up in the morning... which wasn't too bad. I could deal with that. But.. when I got there, Jesse came out with one of his car-repair homeboys and they grabbed my keys and said they'd have it done in 45 minutes. MY HEROS!!

Now my baby has a brand new battery and I learned that those AAA bo-hunk hotties in the commericals are probably actors. Yep. Definitely actors.

No comments: