Saturday, December 14, 2002

You know how you have those memories that make you cringe with embarassment? Like really ugly old pictures of yourself or remembering something really stupid that you've done... Well Carlene had downloaded "Tiny Bubbles" by Don Ho and proceeded to conjure up one of those moments for myself...

When I was 6 years old, we went on a family vacation to Hawaii. Since it was so many years ago, there are only a few things that I do remember about that trip. First, was the discovery that I was horribly alergic to insect bites... legs had been attacked to brutally and the bug bites were so big that my legs resembled giant molecule models and I couldn't walk. Second, was the "newness" of the family video camera... I bet if I were watch those videos, there would be several obnoxious attempts on my part to get attention, not to mention several shots of the inside my mouth. I thought that the camera could capture the happenings of my stomach. And finally, I remember watching Don Ho... in concert. This night, I remember right up to the blue dress I was wearing. During the concert and Don Ho's rendition of "Tiny Bubbles" I, along with several other kids, got pulled up to the stage to meet with him. So Don Ho stops and talks a bit with each kid... and by the time he gets to me, my mind has gone blank and I'm blinded by the lights... He asks my name... I say "Nicole." He then proceeds to ask me who my favorite singer is... I really can't think. I mean, I'm 7... I really don't have a favorite singer. It was Carlene who had an obsession over Michael Jackson and Boy George... I liked everyone! So I blurted the first name that came into mind... "DON HO!!" :) Well, the entire auditorium started laughing and I was mortified. Why couldn't I have said someone else? Anyways, Don was very flattered and I got to sing "Tiny Bubbles" with him... he also coerced me into kissing the boy next to me on the cheek. Oh my... but I did get an autographed tape! And actually for a while, after that trip... all I did listen to WAS Don Ho... but by the time I was 8... I had already fallen hard for the New Kids on the Block... and Don Ho had faded back and had become a distant memory.

Until today.

And so now I listen to the song "Tiny Bubbles." I had always assumed the song was about blowing bubbles in Hawaii. It isn't "Tiny bubbles.. In hawaii" as I had thought...
its "Tiny bubbles in the wine
Make me happy, make me feel fine,
Tiny bubbles make me warm all over
With a feeling that I'm gonna Love you 'til the end of time."


Ahhhh.. now it makes sense. :) Rock on Don Ho... rock on.

No comments: