Monday, August 26, 2002

So today, we had a party at my dad/aunt's house for my grandma's 90th birthday. My nanang is 90 years old... incredible. It makes me laugh to think that every holiday for the past 8 years, JR would ask God to watch over Nanang in his grace before dinner since "this year might be her last year" and well shes really proving JR wrong.

Anyways, this blog has some history... so bare with it so that you'll understand...

Back in the day... I used to play the piano. I had played since I was 5 years old and pretty promising. I was so much in love with music that I actually wanted to become a concert pianist. But then it kinda got out of hand. My dad was a bit of the piano nazi... I had to play in the morning before I went to school, practice every day for an hour (3 hours during the summer) and whenever we had guests over at the house, I was pulled out of my room, kicking, screaming and crying... and forced to play. Refusing wasn't an issue. Play prettily or get it later on.

After my sophomore year of high school, I stopped taking lessons and practicing on an everyday basis. I wasn't happy anymore...

And when Mom and I left, my dad took sole custody of the piano.

So 8 years of playing in front of family ended today. My dear dear cousin Bombie asked me to play (*ahem* pushed in a nice way) and I was back on the bench. I felt the pressure. I could see my dad in the corner of my eye looking at me as I was at the piano... it got to me. Bombie was teasing me and it wasn't soo bad because I could laugh at it, but it got to me that I couldn't play anymore. It was a bit weird... because my fingers knew what they were doing, but not. You know what I mean? I felt comfortable... but then again I was OFF and I couldn't remember anything. In a way, I was a bit sad about the whole thing because I had let my anger to control me when I had been younger and the proof was that I had lost this talent that I had worked so hard to refine in the first place.

But on the bright side, mom said that she wants to save up for a piano after we finish with all the things the house needs... so I can start all over from scratch and play because I want to. :) happy times. :D

No comments: