Saturday, August 03, 2002

At midnight, Erica turned 13.

We pulled over the car while driving through the boonie and oh so dark backroad of Carbon Canyon, where Carlene, Andrew, and myself made her get out with us and proceeded to dance around the car to N.E.R.D.'s "Lapdance" while screaming and cheering obnoxiously... Chelle and her car-full of cousins and Melissa, pulled up behind us and looked at us like we were insane.

When you think about it... 13 was this great age where you finally became this big bad ass teenager. Carlene and I were telling the youngins in the car that they had it lucky because everything seemed to be an adventure for them. Like a simple trip to Pasadena was a big deal... you know, a date would be made, you would all meet up at someones house and get ready, you'd bring your camera and go picture wild, you'd just walk around and hang out... it was something so simple and yet it was this great big affair because you were going "somewhere." Now... I guess we're just spoiled with the fact that we CAN do it and so it isn't as exciting anymore. Plus doing something like that can be a pain because you drive all day long, everyone has different schedules and its hard to meet up, people don't want to do what you want to do, you dont want to pay for the gas, you dont want to pay for parking, why go out when you can just chill at home, paying cover fees and buying overpriced drinks... etc. It just seems difficult to try to plan those "grand" affairs of our teenage years. I guess maybe this is why I'm so spontaneous... planning on ways to make everyone happy is such a bitch sometimes. I love it when you can just pick up and go somwhere just because you feel like it. Somethings, you can't do of course... I mean if you feel like going to the moon then thats going to be a toughy... but hey Vegas has been done (twice!) and I'm sure that if you want to go crazy with that credit card.. you COULD go to Paris for the weekend. :) It doesn't have to be big either... I think the best times I have is when I'm with my friends or family and we just decide "hey... lets go bowling" or "hey... lets go to the 24 hour walmart" or "hey... lets go to the Hustler store!" *good times*

No comments: