Sunday, July 04, 2004

Sweet glorious internet... how I love you so.

I've found my new "crack"... although I have never had "crack" in real life, nor any drugs other than advil/tylenol or whatever has been prescribed by my physician, I assume the madness I'm going through at the moment would be something that a hardcore drug addict would know about.

Or not. I really don't know.

Anyways...

Since my dad has custody of a majority of my old piano books in storage... I've been digging through some of my old boxes and folders in hope that hidden in the files somewhere there might be a piece or 2 haphazardly stuck between a CKI binder and a syllabus. Luckily for me, I found a BIG piano book of Broadway tunes as well as my "old" 1998 CHICAGO book.

Well this fueled a need to "learn new music." Granted, a lot of the pieces in the "big Broadway book" I didn't know, but that was it. I didn't know some of the songs... not to mention that the pieces were extremely difficult.

While at Tower Records last week, I walked by their music book section and nearly peed in my pants as the selection they had there. (I literally almost peed in my pants since I was looking for the restroom when I encountered the books.) I ended up getting a nice little Latin jazz book that had a handful of Jobim songs that I like.

Since then, I've been thinking "what am I going to get next?" I decided that since I'm limiting my spending activities for the summer, this ought to be a good hobby for me to take up for when I'm bored and alone and well... poor. Well since books can get pretty expensive, I decided what the heck... maybe they'll have something on the internet!

And lo and behold... THEY DO!

THEY HAVE A CRAP LOAD OF SHEET MUSIC!

FOR FREE!

How exciting is that!! At first, all I could find was classical stuff... which was great because some had midi accompaniments and so I was able hear if the piece was nice before actually downloading. I also found a bunch of old pieces too that I've been sitting at the piano struggling to remember. YAY NO MORE STRUGGLING!

But within the last hour or so, I've discovered a LOT of contemporary stuff from Mandy Moore (got "Only Hope") to "Beauty and the Beast" (got it!) to Britney Spears (I actually downloaded "Sometimes") to Ricky Martin's Living La Vida Loca. (NO GET! NO GET!)

And the thing is... there's so much more! I really want to go down to the piano right now and try to play them all right now, but its after midnight and I don't think the sound of me struggling to play the theme song to RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK would make the neighbors happy.

I guess I'll have to wait till the morning! :)

No comments: