Sunday, March 23, 2008

3...2...1 Pump it!

After waiting a year, I finally was able to donate blood recently! I was joking with Trainer Erik the Embryo that I had heard that when you donate blood, you loose a pound so I wanted to inquire if I can donate at least 5 pounds. He didn't find it too funny. He also didn't find it funny when I told him that I was kidding and that I throw up what I'm eating instead. Some people are so dry. :P

So I rushed from the office to the ballroom right at my appointed time, signed the form and got called in right away by the nurse for my evaluation. Mentally I was preparing myself for your usual bloodgivers quiz... Have I left the country within the last 5 years? NO. Am I an intravenously drug user? NO. Have you had sex with a man who had sex with another man? I DON'T THINK SO. Have you had sex with a man who has had sex with another man in Africa? UM... NO. But when the nurse took my blood pressure, she exclaimed that it was a little high and left the cubicle. An older nurse reentered after a couple of minutes and took my blood pressure again. And again...

"Its high."
"WHAT!? But I donate all the time and you guys take my blood pressure each time and tell me its normal. Its ALWAYS normal... last time I went to the doctor, they told me it was normal."
"Did you drink coffee today?"
"No... I dont really drink coffee."
"Oh. Nevermind."


Dammit. I should have lied.

I still was able to donate blood but as I was munching on my juice and cookies afterwards (best part of donating blood!) the older nurse came up to me and tried to make me feel better.

"Don't stress out about it. Just go to your doctor and have them run tests."
"Ok... what if it is? What can that mean? What will happen..."
"The worse would be a heart attack or stroke.... but don't stress out. It's... normal. Just the high end of normal."


WHAT. THE. F*CK.

Fast forward to the weekend and I have mom take it again for me. Its a Friday night and I had spent the day at work. Once again its high... CURSES! Saturday morning I make her take it again and its finally normal. Sweetdeliciousday! Although my mom doesn't remember what year she gave birth to me...

"How old are you now? 30? 28?"
"27."
"Yeah its sort of high for your age.... well actually its ok."
"Think about it. The younger I am... the younger YOU are."


So basically in a nutshell... work is killing me. Just kidding. It isn't. But isn't it weird that its high on days that I'm there?! I'm just saying...

No comments: