Wednesday, June 18, 2008

She's hot as a baker
Cause I'm Naughty by Nature
Not Cause I Hate Cha

During my first year at the Hotel, my co-worker Anny and I learned we had one thing in common... love of old school music. We're not talking about your momma's old school (althought I DO love me some K-Earth Oldies!) but old school OLD SKOOL. Lisa Lisa. Stevie B. The Jets. Stacy Q and her one song. That's the era of awesomeness I'm referring to. That year, there was a concert called the "FREESTYLE EXPLOSION" with Stevie B that we each had heard about, but since it was being held my birthday weekend and with me being a newbie with no seniority, plans for a life let alone a concert were pretty non-existant.

Fast forward 3 years.

Our friend Taua has friends who work for the Honda Center and always has tickets to concerts there... this time she doesn't want her tickets:
Taua: I have there tickets and I don't want to go. I don't even know who's going to be there.
Anny: What concert is this?
Taua: Something... explosion.
Anny: FREESTYLE EXPLOSION!?! I'M IN!!
Me: (with dog ears, running down the hall) I'M IN!!!!!!

That being said, the concert was pretty KICK ASS! Granted, I felt old. With a line up of Coolio, Naughty by Nature, Stevie B, Lisa Lisa, Young MC, Klymaxx... you can't help feeling old. Based on their popular hits, Anny and I were putting bets on how many songs they would be allowed to perform. Young MC- 1. Tone Loc I thought would have 2... but he had 4 songs I knew! Coolio suprisingly enough did 4 songs, 2 of which were recognizable. We also had bets as to who would finish the concert. I had Naughty by Nature. Anny had Coolio. Another surprise... we were both wrong! It was STEVIE B! And yes, he had a good number of hits! Spring Love. I Wanna Be the One. Dream About You. The Postman Song. All good songs... just slightly off key. It must have been the acoustics in the arena. Hmm.

Well since there was no way in holy hell I would have been able to sneak in my camera... I did have my poor quality camera phone to mark the occasion.

Stevie B... in a White Suit.


Lisa Lisa with her Backup Dancers.


Naughty by Nature Hip Hop Hooraying.


Ew. I really should get a better camera phone.

Nexttime, I'm hoping they get Surface, Atlantic Star, Candyman, and Sir Mix A Lot. That would be amazing and totally old school mix tape.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh em gee, Nicole. Have you been watching Conan lately? It is so bad. He has lost his edge. He's been doing these stupid skits with Pierre Bernard Graphic Designer and using a split screen to do fake interviews with sports stars. They've done it EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Double-u tee eff?!?!

He's calling for entries in his commercial contest right now. You should enter...

Jean said...

those are really awesome seats :)