Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Cleaning out my heart

Last night after dinner, I recieved a frantic call from my sister saying that the upstairs bathroom had flooded somehow and now the entire upstairs was wet as well as the garage underneath it since everything had seeped through. So I raced upstairs and while the damage was minimal, there was a lot of cleaning ahead.

Fast forward to this morning-

I'm in the garage with Carlene and SOnny and we're cleaning and organizing. The thing about "cleaning and organizing" is that you're bound to find something that you haven't seen in ages. And while I feel like we always seems to organize that damn garage every year... there's always rediscovered treasure. For example- I found an old scrapbook that I slaved over in high school which was basically about LOVE. I was silly and idealistic and overly romantic back then and the proof are definitely in the pages. Another find was a box full of tapes that my mom had recorded of Carlene and I just singing and talking to her at ages 2 and 3. Once again, I was silly and idealistic and overly romantic... and the proof is definitely on the tapes. :)

The garage is now clean and now I've started on my room. I'm not finding ancient gold, but I did come one note that I vividly recall my heart fluttering over when I found it on my car. Seeing it made me smile and just a little bit sad but at least I'll always remember that that person made my heart flutter. And you can't regret that. I also found old letters and cards from friends, some of which I still keep in touch with, and of course some of which I have no clue as to where their life has taken them now... but it was lovely to find them none the less because every note represented a stage in my life.

While in the garaged, we joked about different "us." For example- High school Sonny had the long "asain" bangs (if you know what I'm talking about, Whoot there it is.) and we was really into WuTang. Freshman High school Carlene wore extra dark lipliner and can kick your ass. High school Nicole was silly, idealistic and... well you get the picture. She also had a thing for watching Sailor Moon at 7am. Then there was crazy wedding decorator Nicole who would have headaches from the heat and the paint fumes and yet, still enjoy every moment of it because of the folks who surronded her. We're not gonna even start on Disney Nicole because well, that started way before she even started working there.

Just thinking and typing.

All in all, I'm curious as to what this next stage is going to be. I hope she has a great time.

In the meantime, back to cleaning.

No comments: