Tuesday, February 22, 2005

There is no such thing as a "normal" day. For instance, the other day, I witnessed the following conversation at work.

little girl: looking at a driver's licence What does that heart mean?
mom: That means that daddy is a organ donor.
little girl: So daddy gave away his organs?
mom: No. Daddy has to be dead to do that.

Wow. What a time to start the "every one is going to die" conversation with your 6 year old while on vacation and checking into your hotel. Oh... and not only will he eventually die, someone else might get his still beating heart. Talk about morbid.

Anyways, work is finally taking its toll on me, but not to the point where I want to scream bloody murder. Actually, yesterday was ok... but 2 days before I was on the verge of breakdown because it seemed like every one of my guest HAD. AN. ISSUE. And while I don't mind being the verbal punching bag for my friends and family, after 30 random strangers venting about not getting a resort view, well... you have to wonder if sleeping with your room facing the CITY can truely ruin someone's ENTIRE LIFE.

But then again, I have the families and guests who like me (yes, I'm sooo modest) and well, that makes up for the difficult ones. The other night, I had a little girl tell me that I was her favorite NICOLE in the whole wide world. I wanted to slather her with kisses and ask her to write me a letter of reccomendation on my direction-giving abilities so that I can give it to my managers. But honestly, it was something so little and so sweet that changed the course of my day.

And how I do love my co-workers. :) Last week, some of us got coffee afterwards... that's like ACCEPTANCE right!?! AND I've managed to ambush hug Sal almost a dozen times now without getting stabbed back. SCORE!

No comments: