Sunday, May 11, 2008

Lotto

One of my old co-workers passed away today. Chandran was definitely one of those people who made you smile just by being in the same vicinity as them and his death is heartbreaking because in my mind, he was invincible. He has survived some numerous heart attacks, several strokes, and goodness knows he cursed like a sailor... nothing really got him down.

Chandran was the comment card king. Everyone loved him, including the guests. Which is hilarious because I remember when I was brand spanking new, I used to stand next to him and hear him help a guest with directions, information, etc, turn around and hear him under his breath whisper "You stupid shit."

There's a story (that I remember him telling me and have heard numerous times from other coworkers) where a guest came back to the desk ANGRY because she had gotten lost driving to a nearby grocery. Apparently, what should have been a 10 minute drive had become an hour of mass confusion. So the guest came back and was SCREAMING at Chandran that he had given her the wrong directions. So Chandran pointed to the sign at his desk and ask "Ma'am, what does the sign say?"
"Information." She read out loud.
He replied, "DOES IT SAY CORRECT!?!"
The guest was so flabbergasted that her anger just melt away and she laughed. She also wrote him a comment card.

Every Monday, Chandran would walk around with a pen and an envelope in hand demanding that you gave him $2 for lotto. So you would give him your $2, he would write down your name on the envelope stating that you had paid (with a check mark!) and Wednesday, you would receive a copy of all the lotto tickets as well as a list of names of people who were in the pool with you. So one Wednesday,he gave me the lotto copy with my name on it. Problem was that I hadn't give him $2. So I said "Chandran, I didn't give you money. I shouldn't get a copy!!!" Chandran just patted my shoulder and said "Kid. If we win, I'll take care of you."

I'm sad because he will be missed dearly. He was fun, hilarious, and honestly cared for everyone who came his way. I remember just getting calls from him at the desk just saying "You're a good kid Nicole. You deserve someone good too." To which I would respond "If only you were 30 years younger!" The thing is, when you you think about it, we all won the lotto because our lives are so much richer because of him.

Rest in peace friend.

No comments: