Sunday, May 22, 2011

I Guess I Shoulda Known by the Way You Parked Your Car Sideways That It Wouldn't Last

It's not a suprpise by those who know me, but I admit, I'm not the best driver. There are 2 things going against me. I'm Asian and I'm a female. I'm not one for racial and sexist stereotypes, but in this case, I fit it to the T. And I really do try to be a better driver. And while the last accident I had was actually my fault, the previous 2 before that weren't my bad at all. The one before those... yeah. And then my first one that wasn't my fault either.

Not too bad right?

When I was 16, getting my drivers license was a traumatic experience. I had to take the drivers test several times that in the end, my dad found a family friend who worked at the DMV and had me drive the course repeatedly one late summer night until I had ever turn, stop, arm signal etc down. And its not that I'm a bad driver because I know I definitely could be worse. But taking that test was a lot of pressure on pathetic 16 year old me who wanted her drivers license BADLY and didn't want to eff up.

So you can only imagine my horror when I looked down at my current drivers license and discovered that it's expiring on my birthday. In June.

I mentally cataloged through all my mail and realized that I never received my renewal. Did I miss something? Maybe I could renew online. But when I registered and put in my information, it said I was ineligible and needed to call the office.

The girl at the DMV was super sweet and explained to me that since I renewed my license twice via mail in the past, I would now need to go to the actual office and renew. Which means, new picture, new fingerprints, and I would need to RETAKE THE WRITTEN TEST.

F*CK.

So, here I am blogging with my driver's handbook ready to get highlighted and studied. You'd think that 15 years later, I'd be chill and breezy regarding this, but sadly I've reverted to a nervous 16 year old and I'm slightly freaked out about it. I don't want to be the 30 year old without a driver's license!! Do you know how long it's gonna take me to get to work on the bus?

What if I fail and I need to drink... will they take expired licenses?

I don't even want to know.

***UPDATE***

So I get to the DMV and while the guy in front of me getting his license renewed looked shocked when he was told that he needed to retake the written test, I was just as shocked to be told nothing about a test. Just that my ID would take 3-6 weeks to get to me.

That's right suckas. This girl didn't take have to take it at all. WOOOOOOOOOT!!


So where we going? ;)

No comments: